Welcome to MUSICAL JOURNEY owned by Noriko, a Master’s level board-certified music therapist and neurologic music therapist. I am currently offering online music therapy & music lessons, so that you and/or your family members can receive high quality and evidence-based services from home.
What is neurologic music therapy (NMT)?
NMT is based on scientific findings and specifically designed for neurological disorders/conditions (e.g., Alzheimer’s disease, cerebral palsy, multiple sclerosis, Parkinson’s disease, stroke, and traumatic brain injury [TBI]). NMT was developed by Dr. Michael Thaut, Dr. Corene Hurt-Thaut, Dr. Gerald McIntosh, M.D., and Ruth Rice, DPT. The techniques in NMT address sensorimotor, speech and language, cognitive, and emotional domains.
Examples of NMT techniques:
- Rhythmic Auditory Stimulation (RAS) for gait training
- Therapeutic Instrumental Music Performance (TIMP) for fine and gross motor movements
- Melodic Intonation Therapy (MIT) for non-fluent aphasia
- Musical Speech Stimulation (MUSTIM) for prosodic speech gestures and automatic speech
- Rhythmic Speech Cueing (RSC) for speech rate control (e.g., stroke, TBI, Parkinson’s disease)
- Vocal Intonation Therapy (VIT) for voice control (e.g., increasing pitch range – Parkinson’s disease)
- Therapeutic Singing (TS) for engagement (e.g., Alzheimer’s disease)
- Musical Attention Control Training (MACT) for focused, sustained, selective, and alternating attention
- Musical Mnemonics Training (MMT) for memorization
- Associative Mood and Memory Training (AMMT) for memory recall
Reference: Thaut, M., & Hoemberg V. (2014). Handbook of Neurologic Music Therapy. New York, NY: Oxford University Press
Please contact Noriko for a free virtual consultation Contact us
Phone: (913) 744-1265