Welcome to MUSICAL JOURNEY owned by Noriko, a Master’s level board certified music therapist and neurologic music therapist-fellow. I provide music therapy & music lessons to young and older adults in Johnson County and the surrounding areas.
What is neurologic music therapy (NMT)?
NMT is based on scientific findings and specifically designed for neurological disorders/conditions (e.g., Alzheimer’s disease, cerebral palsy, multiple sclerosis, Parkinson’s disease, stroke, and traumatic brain injury [TBI]). NMT was developed by Dr. Michael Thaut, Dr. Corene Hurt-Thaut, Dr. Gerald McIntosh, M.D., and Ruth Rice, DPT. The techniques in NMT address sensorimotor, speech and language, cognitive, and emotional domains.
Examples of NMT techniques:
- Rhythmic Auditory Stimulation (RAS) for gait training
- Therapeutic Instrumental Music Performance (TIMP) for fine and gross motor movements
- Melodic Intonation Therapy (MIT) for non-fluent aphasia
- Musical Speech Stimulation (MUSTIM) for prosodic speech gestures and automatic speech
- Rhythmic Speech Cueing (RSC) for speech rate control (e.g., stroke, TBI, Parkinson’s disease)
- Vocal Intonation Therapy (VIT) for voice control (e.g., increasing pitch range – Parkinson’s disease)
- Therapeutic Singing (TS) for engagement (e.g., Alzheimer’s disease)
- Musical Attention Control Training (MACT) for focused, sustained, selective, and alternating attention
- Musical Mnemonics Training (MMT) for memorization
- Associative Mood and Memory Training (AMMT) for memory recall
Reference: Thaut, M., & Hoemberg V. (2014). Handbook of Neurologic Music Therapy. New York, NY: Oxford University Press
Please contact Noriko for a free consultation Contact us
Phone: (913) 744-1265